skip to Main Content
+44 (0) 1293 852 030 +44 (0) 1403 263 284 info@turners-removals.co.uk
The Nineties

The Nineties

The name of Ebbutt-Turner finally disappeared in the nineties leaving no trace of the former well established businesses of Turners Transport and Ebbutts (Croydon) Ltd, (removal division). The licensing changes in 1968 making it easier for new firms to operate lorries must have had a big impact on an old established businesses, the fluctuating housing market, management decisions, money and complacency must have all played a part in its demise.

Only two parts of the original firm remain, Turners Car Radio and Turners Removals of Crawley.

IN Crawley the nineties started how the eighties ended, trade was quiet. The two part-time girls in the office had little to do but it was felt that what few phone calls came in should be answered straight away and not rely on answerphones. In 1991 the Saviem van was replaced by a vehicle that could carry containers, up untill then all storage was loaded loose onto a van and unloaded into containers at the warehouse, which meant double handling the furniture and effects.

A 1985 Leyland Freighter was purchased in Nottingham where a local bodybuilder made alterations to the body and painted it in the now standard Ocean Blue. Also the 5 cwt van was repainted, both vehicles receiving a new modern livery.

A further 30 containers and equipment was purchased from a local removal contractor G.L. Transport who was about to go bankrupt, as most of the containers were full of their old customers effects this brought in much needed extra revenue.

Firmin Coates ran a warehouse for Kemira Fertilizers in Nightingale Road, Horsham and had surplus space so in 1992 all the storage was moved over to Horsham, parking space was also rented. The office remained at Crawley Football Clubs Ground in Town Mead, Crawley.

By 1993 trading had improved so an old Leyland Terrier was purchased. Also it was the year Firmin Coates decided to close the warehouse in Horsham. After a lot of searching, new premises was founded at Holmbush Farm, Faygate where an office and a 5,600 sq ft ex grain store was rented which could store 160 containers stacked two high.

Between the 1st October and 1st November 1993, the eighty containers were moved from Horsham and the office contents from Crawley. Over the next six years, more containers were purchased and two smaller warehouses were rented in Colgate. By the end of the nineties 300 containers were in use.

In 1995 the Terrier was replaced by another Leyland Freighter, D663 DMS.

A Leyland 45 series was added to the fleet in 1997.

Turners Continues into the 21st Century.

Back To Top