Ebbutt-Turner Ltd was sold on to Lockwood & Kapper Ltd of Bensham Lane, Croydon, although by this time there was precious little left of the once thriving firm.
Turners removals of Crawley was sold again in 1980 to Mr R Hayes who at the time ran his one van firm called Hayes Carriers. The sale consisted of one Bedford TK 1200 cu ft van the name and goodwill. A small rented office in Brighton Road was the only premises as storage space was rented in different locations around town.
The name Hayes Carriers was dropped in favour of Turners and a move back to Leopold Road took place in 1982 where office, storage and parking was rented from the former owner Mr Cullip. A steady increase in turnover took place over the next few years and by 1988 the fleet consisted of one 5 cwt Bedford van, one 13 ton Saviem 1600 cu ft rigid, one 21 ton gtw Ford Cargo tractor unit and two trailers.
In August 1988 the Government introduced a new tax reform for house buyers, within one month turnover decreased by 50% and was the start of one of the worst recessions this century.
By the middle of 1989 it became clear that drastic actions would have to be take to save the company, house prices were dropping fast and the decision was made the three full time staff redundant, sell the tractor unit (which was less than a year old) and the two trailers.
Due to the high street rent at Leopold Road a move to a small office and parking space in Crawley Football Club was made. 50 furniture containers was purchased and all the storage was containerised and stored at Ifield Transports warehouse in Lowfield Heath.